Thursday, June 16, 2016

What I've been doing......

Some of you think I spend my days in Spain just lying around our piso in my underwear while sipping cava through a straw. This point of view is incorrect. I've actually managed to get a lot accomplished this trip.
We bottled the 2015 rosado last week and I'm very happy with it. Carles, Jose Carlos and I have been working on the 2015 tinto and it's going to be the best yet. I will go to Celler Masroig tomorrow to check out the final blend.
Substantial progress has been made in my war against unruly rootstock. As you know, my vineyards are old and were not well cared for in the few years before I bought them. A number of the vines have suffered from careless tractor driving (a.k.a. tractor blight) because they grew too far out into the rows.
Also, my vines are grafted to American rootstock (as is the case with most vines in the world). For whatever reason, native American grape species are much hardier than the native European species. In fact, it's practically impossible to kill them.
When the upper, European part of the vine is injured or compromised, the American roots think it's time to party. And they KNOW how to party! Please check out the "before and after" pictures below.
The only thing to do is go through the vineyard and whack them back. This involves getting down on my hands and knees and either pulling or cutting the shoots off. I'm only good for 3-4 hours a day of this kind of work. The good news is that this work turns out to be much easier in the Spring. In the past, I've waited until September. It only took me seven days instead of fourteen.
I'm really pleased with the way the vines look. Marc and Josep are doing an excellent job. The vineyard is in better shape than it's been since I bought it. 
                                                          
                                                                  ¡Gracias por todos!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment