Friday, June 3, 2016

THE PRICE OF PROGRESS

Our street, Carrer Pinyeres (a.k.a. El Barrio Internacional), has been in bad shape. You could see it had been patched and putzed with for heaven knows how long. The Ajuntament finally got around to repaving it. They're also installing a new sanitary sewer and water line.
As you can see, it's impossible to drive down the street. When I arrived Wednesday (laden with my usual too much baggage), our neighbor, Dani, was standing at the top of the street. He snatched my 49.5 pound suitcase out of my hand and took off running down the street with it like a mountain goat. He carried it all the way to our house. I don't care what anybody says. Dani es un buen chico.
There seem to be only four men working on the project. They're doing careful and creditable work. I'm pleasantly surprised with the progress they've made in the past few days. They completed at least six sewer taps today. I'm not sure what else they're planning to do but it looks like the worst is over.
They probably won't get around to paving before I leave but it will be great to have a nice new street when I come back in August. ¡Gracias Sr. Rius!








No comments:

Post a Comment