Thursday, June 16, 2016

Frankfurt El Pont -My Favorite Cafe

Have you ever had the feeling that you were in exactly the right place? Certain spaces seem to bring on a lightness of being, a special perception of contentment and peace. For some reason, they feel just like home. I feel that way when I'm at the café Frankfurt El Pont in Falset.
It was the first café I went to in Falset when I made my first visit back to Spain since 1977. This was in 1996. As most of you know, Spain had been on my mind ever since my visit way back when. I'm pretty sure it was at a table outside the Frankfurt El Pont that I made the decision to try and make a go of it in Spain.
In 1996, the man who ran the café introduced me to Anis del Mono. I think he was the father of the present owners. In any event, he was a great guy. A few of the people who were in the café in 1996 were there when I had lunch this afternoon. It's just that kind of place.
The café is now run by Pili and her husband. They've been there for at least the past seven or eight years. The service is always friendly. Pili enjoys visiting with her customers and is obviously a great favorite among the people of Falset.
One of my favorite lunches is bocadillo de lomo (pork-chop sandwich). Pili's is always excellent and she is happy to put some fried onions on it. Not everyone will do this for you. The sandwich is made Catalan style with tomato smeared on the bread. It's never too big or too small.
The tinto wine served at Frankfurt El Pont is the best available in any café in Catalunya. I've been in a lot of cafes in Catalunya so you can take my word for it.
If you're ever in Montsant or Priorat and want friendly service in a family setting, you should visit Pili at Franfurt El Pont. They're halfway down the main street on the west side.






No comments:

Post a Comment