Monday, July 4, 2022

My vineyards have never looked better!


I'm happy to report that my vineyards have never looked better! After ten years, it's a good feeling. I have Josep Maria Beltran to thank for most of this. He took over farming last year and has done an outstanding job. I really appreciate his attention to detail and sincere interest in the vineyards.
Josep Maria has made many improvements. On his own initiative he put in iron stakes to prop up a bunch of vines that were leaning into the rows. You can see the results below. It's now possible to drive a tractor through the vineyards without running over vines. Josep Maria only works organically so there is no herbicide or other artificial material used. The vines are thriving!
I applied for permission to plant about half an acre of Grenache. We should know in a month or so if that comes through. My goal is to have 100% of the Campeon come from my estate. I've been getting Grenache from my neighbors in the past. 
The crop this year appears to be a little smaller than 2021. Last year was a record harvest for us. We've had very little rain this year. The berries seem smaller but that's okay. We've been irrigating judiciously and I'm expecting really good quality. I'm heading back to Texas at the end of the week. There is a ton of stuff that needs doing before harvest.
As always, thanks for checking in!

This picture was taken in March. Obviously no need for a scarf now!

Josep Maria at harvest last year.

Finca Vieja. Note how upright the vines are.


I will plant these two terraces to Grenache next year.

Finca Alta.


This is a volunteer olive tree in Finca Vieja. It's putting on some olives. I'm going to prune it and see what happens. Maybe get a couple of jars of olives some day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment