Friday, August 15, 2014

That's Farming, Part 3

  I mentioned there was some weeding to be done in the vineyards and I've been out there the past couple of days working on it. As I drove into El Molar this morning at about 8:00, there were groups of young people hanging around the pool and the adjacent municipal grounds. I remembered that the Festa Major in El Molar started last night and the first night is usually devoted to young people's activities.
  I pulled up to Finca Alta and went to work with Mr. Shovel. The weeds are not bad this year but there are some in the vine rows I want to knock down. I can't get a Clemons hoe through there because the vines are trained so close to the ground and are narrowly spaced. Additionally, this is not the best time of year to stir up dust because of mites.
  As I was working, I noticed a low "burring" sound coming from the middle of the vineyard at regular intervals. At first, I thought it was some kind of bird. When the sound continued for twenty minutes, I decided to investigate. I walked about twenty meters down and three rows over.
  I discovered a Young Couple fast asleep in the vineyard. The "burring" sound was the Young Man's snoring. He was lying on his back and a Young Lady was snuggled on top of him. I noticed they were both pretty well covered in dust. I also noticed that, somehow, the Young Lady had lost her shirt and her bra was unfastened. Before you get too excited, I'll tell you right now there won't be any pictures with this post.
  I took a few discreet steps away and called out to them "Bon dia! Bon dia!". The only response was more snoring. So, Mr. Shovel and I returned to our task. I finished the row I was working on and started back down the vineyard toward the Young Couple. As I approached them after about 45 minutes, I was happy to see the Young Lady had found her shirt and was sitting up.
  She was chattering brightly and giggling while her companion's contributions were rare and semi-monosyllabic. As I passed by, I once again called out "Bon dia! Como estamos?". They replied "Bon dia!" and I continued down the row. About 10 minutes later, they stood up and started walking through the vineyard toward El Molar. As they passed me, they held their hands up to shield their faces in the manner of someone leaving a Federal arraignment. I remember thinking "It's a little late for that, now, Chicos."
  Many of you have heard me brag about the agricultural paradise we enjoy here. We've tried to honor the concept of agricultural diversification and avoid mono-culture. I'm happy to report that:
  1) We can grow wine grapes.
  2) We can grow almonds.
  3) Evidently, we can make babies.
Now, that's what I call farming!


 

1 comment: