Friday, October 25, 2013

October 2013 Reflections

My conversations with Jesus del Rio and my return to Texas on Wednesday have inspired a few reflections about cultural differences. Even though "people are people" in my experience, wherever you go, there are more than a few things that are different. Aside from a total lack of junk mail in Spain, here are a couple of examples of uniquely Catalan experiences:
1) I was having lunch in one of my favorite cafes last week when two women came in with a three year old boy. They set him on the counter so he could swing his legs. One of the women said," I think Junior's hungry." The other replied, "Oh? Well, let's feed him a plate of snails." The order was placed and few minutes later out came the caracoles (escargot). Junior started powering them down like they were chicken nuggets. While Junior was demolishing the caracoles, four attractive young women stopped to admire him. Sensing their admiration, Junior put down his toothpick. He puckered up his buttery/garlicky little lips and leaned his little face forward. In turn, he kissed all four of them squarely on the mouth. I was so proud of that kid I almost bought him a beer.
2) Maria is my neighbor downstairs. She has taken me under her wing and I like it because she is so pleasant and cheerful. Maria, like everyone else in town, is a huge fan of Barça (Futbol Club Barcelona). She asked me one day if I was a "futbolisto". I said I wasn't but that our son-in-law, Ted, is a futbolisto. She confidently asked if he is for Barça and I said he isn't. A cloud of shock and despair passed over her face and she said," He isn't for Madrid, is he?!" It took of few minutes of explaining to convince her that Ted is neither for nor against either Barça or Real Madrid because he supports a British club. The explanation seemed to console her but I think she secretly pities him.
 A few days later, Maria bought me the slippers you see below. I think she wanted to save me from the same wretched fate that befell Ted. When I saw the slippers, I instantly converted to Barça and am now an ardent fan. Whenever I wear those slippers, I become younger, smarter and better looking. There is unanimous agreement on this, at least between Maria and me.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Russell and Susan. I am right now enjoying a bottle of your wine after running into you at Twin Liquors. And it is very enjoyable, good job! I googled to see more about it and found your blog. Very cool and I hope your journey is exceptionally successful.
    Randy and Alison Rice
    Austin

    ReplyDelete