Saturday, September 21, 2013

Garnatxa 2013

This is my 31st harvest. It's a little hard to believe. We picked the garnatxa from the vineyard near Marça on Monday, September 16th. This is a sweet little one hectare vineyard planted on decomposed slate. It's the same one we picked last year and I was thrilled with the quality of the wine. This year looks just as good.
Because of the wet spring, harvest this year has been pushed back by about two weeks. As you may notice if you look at last years pictures, the vines have more vigor this year because of the rain. We have had near perfect weather for the last few weeks and I'm knocking on wood as I'm writing this. The forecast looks good. I sampled Fincas Alta and Vieja this afternoon and got 23.8 Brix. The pH is still low but the fruit looks good and will probably go another ten days. I received final label approval from D.O. Montsant yesterday. We will probably bottle the 2012 Celler D. Russell Smith on October 2nd.
 For those of you who don't already know, Rose and Ted had a baby girl on Wednesday! Please call Susan for details. As always, thanks for your interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment